SMALL PIECES / BIG PICTURE
Sunday’s play list via YouTube
This Week’s Bible Readings Jan. 11 – Jan. 17
Jan. 11 -17, Matt. 8-10 ;
- Where’s your space?
- What’s your time?
- What are the key words?
- What was God saying to them? What’s God saying to you?
- What’s the Holy Spirit going to show throughout the day?
- For what are you grateful?
- For what are you concerned?
- Who needs you today?
Title: “Mosaic – The Sermon on the Mount”
IN A NUTSHELL: Those listening to Jesus preach these sermons had heard the laws and principles of the Mosaic law taught since birth. Now Jesus goes deeper and teaches the heart of God’s nature. Those interested in being a part of the Kingdom must learn to focus on God’s nature, not just rules that might make them look like Him. It is interesting how man can take elements of one worldview and make them appear contradictory! (Mt. 5:17) It’s not people who obey the law that are happy, it’s the people that think the thoughts of God and delight in those things He delights in that will find themselves blessed. Big difference!.
- What was Jesus trying to communicate when He said, “You have heard it said…”? (Matt. 5:21-6:4) Was he negating the Old Testament Law? Was He instating a New Law?
- Are the Beatitudes – are they virtues to pursue, heavenly characteristics to anticipate or indicators of a present Kingdom of Heaven citizen? What’s the difference? (Matt. 5:1-16)
- What do Ex. 25:9,40, 1 Chr. 28:11-12,19 and Heb. 8:5 tell us about the patterns for the tabernacle and temple?
- Do you tend to view Bible verses such as the Beatitudes as prescriptions for how to “become godly”, or descriptions of what “those who are godly” look like? What’s the difference?
- What are some passages of Scripture that may have the appearance of contradicting other passages? Have you ever lost any arguments or just avoided talking about passages out of fear of losing the argument?
- Do you ever find your self promoting an opinion, conviction or tradition (worldview) at the expense of God’s word?
- How might your family, or a CARE Group, Bible Fellowship Class or Ministry team at T.L.C.C. help you become a “citizen” of the Kingdom rather than just someone trying on a Kingdom uniform?
- How might this week look different from last week if you decided today that “being a Christian” is quite different from “looking like one” or trying to “act like one?”
- A study of 143 alleged contradictions in the Bible
- The Beatitudes (gotquestions.org)
- 2016 MOSAIC series and Bible Readings
- Inspired Evidence – a good devotion book for 2016
- Timber Lake Christian Church Website
- Timber Lake Live! (simulcast)
- Timber Lake’s past videos (Vimeo)