Sunday’s play list via YouTube
This Week’s Bible Readings Sept. 20- 26
Title: “The Feast of Tabernacles – Tents, Water & Light”
In a Nutshell: “The Feast of Tabernacles (a.k.a. Ingathering) celebrated the harvest God had given them. It was to be a reminder of how God had taken them from Egypt to Israel, a pilgrimage with a destination. Rabbis were quoted saying, ‘if a person has not been to Jerusalem during the Feast of Tabernacles they didn’t know what rejoicing really meant.’ Today we remember this is not our home and more importantly celebrate that Jesus will take us there!”
- What indications (their actions/statements) do you see in John 7-9 that the Jews were “on edge” about Jesus?
- Jesus’ brothers did not believe Jesus was “the son of God”. Therefore what were they trying to do when they urged him to go to Jerusalem for the “Feast of Tabernacles” (Booths)? (Jn. 7:1-9)
- Were the Jews primarily upset about what Jesus had done, or who He said He was?
- God wanted the Feast of Tabernacles to be celebrated for what reason?
- While the Jewish leaders had developed the traditions of carrying water to the altar and carrying torches into the city what did Jesus do/say to direct those traditions toward His identity? (Jn. 7:37,38; 8:12-13; Is. 12:3; 44:3; Ps. 27:1; Is. 60:1)
- What were the heroes of our faith focused on? And what did they hold on to loosely? Heb. 11:32-40
- Putting it all together
- What is it about going camping that causes your family to reconnect?
- The Feast of Tabernacles had evolved into a festival of traditions surrounding winter rains, waning hours of sunlight. How did Jesus recover the main points of the Holy Spirit and living out the will of God before others?
- What do you (your family) do to keep you focused on the eternal/spiritual priorities in your lives?
- CARE Sheet – CARE Sheet 9-4-15 b
- The Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot)
- The last 12 months has changed many Jewish minds & hearts!
- Timber Lake’s past videos (Vimeo)