Sunday’s play list via YouTube
Last Week’s Bible Reading Aug. 9- 15 Bible Readings:
- II Chronicles 27-28
- Micah 1-7
- Isaiah 7-19
- Proverbs 19
Aug. 16- 22 Bible Readings:
Title: “Synergy for the Trip – Teens”
Texts: 1 Sam. 17 (David & Goliath); Lk. 1:26-38 (Mary, mother of Jesus); 1 Kings 1:6 (David & Absolom/Adonija); 1 Sam. 2:22 (Hophni & Phinehas); Mk. 14:51,52; Acts 12:12,25; 15:37-41; 2 Tim. 4:11 (John Mark)
In a Nutshell: Adolescence can be tough! In this milestone we seek to provide resources to help parents and their youth develop spiritual disciplines and embrace upcoming adulthood. Youth that have a tested faith along the way tend to grow, those that are sheltered from the potential of making bad decisions tend to make some real “doosies” once they get on their own. Anyway you look at it teens are built to try their new wings! Model the principles you’ve been talking about the past 12 years and let them practice. Be sure to avoid “clipping ” their wings!
- How did young David and Mary view themselves? View God?
- Where did David and Eli fail their sons?
- Why do you think John Mark included such a curious story about a young, unnamed disciple running off naked?
- Why do you think Paul did not want to take John Mark on the second mission journey?
- What all had to happen for Paul, Barnabas & Timothy to have to come to the point that Paul could say “Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is very useful to me for ministry“?
- Putting it all together…
- How do you communicate to your children/grandchildren that you love them unconditionally AND that their choices do have consequences?
- How does this kind of communication change from “the early years” to the “teens”?
- What are signs that you are too much of your child’s “friend” rather than their “parent”?
- What significant event/trip/activity do you remember as a teen that you would say was monumental in your maturing process? (May have been an ultimate success or a major failure)
- What priorities/event would you like to establish now for “the kids” in your life in effort to help them transition to adulthood?
- Synergy Milestone Study Sheet (Milestone #3) Synergy Milestone study Sheets 2014 (M3)
- Teens Pinterest Resources
- T.L.C.C. youth calendar
- Top 10 Dangers Teens Face by Focus on the Family
- Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky A. Bailey
- On My Own Handbook: 100 Secrets of Success to Prepare Young People for Life
- Parenting Beyond Your Capacity by Reggie Joiner
- 5 Parenting Principles by Carey Nieuwhof
- Intentional Parenting by Tad Thompson
- What is Synergy? New Synergy Promo (4)
- Synergy Bookmark Synergy Milestones Study Bookmark 2014
- Discipleship Assessment Postcard Discipleship Assessment 2015
- Discipleship Assessment Resources Family Discipleship assessment and resources
- Timber Lake’s past videos (Vimeo)