Title: “What Are You Really Looking For?”
Texts: Luke 11:1-36
In a Nutshell: From the disciples asking Jesus to teach them how to pray, to the Pharisee upset that Jesus didn’t wash his hands, from Jesus’ accusers that he healed by the powers of Satan to the woman in the crowd trying to imagine the pride of Jesus’ mother because of his influence. Jesus warns us that our eyes are the windows of our souls if we want to see light we shall, if we want to see darkness, we shall. Be careful – “This generation is an evil generation. It seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.”
Ice Breaker: In light of what Jesus said,”a divided household falls,” what does that say about churches that tend to argue a lot? What would you say those churches REALLY want?
CONNECTING WITH THE TEXT:
- What was Jesus saying when he said, “everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.” (Luke 11:10 )
- What was Jesus saying when he said, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls” a nd “if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out?” (Luke 11:17&19)
- What was Jesus saying when he said, “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters” (Luke 11:23)
- Looking at the conversation of the individuals or groups with Jesus in Luke 11 what would you say they think they are looking for. Now looking at Jesus response to them, what would you say Jesus knew they were really looking for?
REFLECTING ON YOUR LIFE:
- Looking at what you pray for, talk about and spend your time working for, what would you say you really want out of your relationship with Jesus?
- What excuses do you tend to use for not being able to accomplish what you think God wants you to accomplish?
- What kinds of things does it seem our generation is looking for most? Miraculous signs? personal comfort? peace of mind?
CONNECTING WITH YOUR CHURCH:
- If your CARE group perceived you were caught up in a cycle of making excuses for immature interests how would you want them to approach you?
- What does a church leader that is self-deceived and immature look like? What do they try to do? And why?
This is a place that will make you think about how you are living and where good or bad priorities will lead you and your family. The world passes by not thinking about the most important questions this place inspires.. k105.5
Title: “The Journey to Bethlehem”
Text: Luke 2
Questions: How could Mary’s background have prevented her from having confidence in what the angel told her? How could Joseph’s hopes for the future had prevented him from fulfilling God’s work in his life?
Parents with your children: What obstacles have you had to face in the past? What hopes do you have for your family’s legacy?