IN A NUTSHELL – Sensible people can get really worked up, and do very foolish things. All they have to do is listen to elaborately worded, cleverly crafted statements without asking a few fundamental questions. #1 What’s in it for them? #2 What do their sources say? #3 Where will this lead us?
Describe the best “April Fools” joke you ever heard?
CONNECTING TO THE TEXT
- Why did Paul leave Timothy in Ephesus?
- Who is the Law for according to 1 Tim. 1:8-10?
- What were they “not to teach” nor “devote themselves” to? 1 Tim. 1:3,4
- What is Paul’s aim or intention with “the charge” he is giving Timothy? 1 Tim. 1:5
- What are the characteristics of a false teacher? 1 Tim. 1: 6,7.
- What different events (time periods) does the Bible refer to as “last days”? Is. 2:2; Ac. 2:17; Mt. 24:1-29; Ja. 5:4; 2 Pe. 3:3; Mt. 24:30-51
REFLECTING UPON OUR LIVES
- What would vain myths, genealogies, speculations look like in this day and age?
- Who is a good sounding “false teacher” that has a significant following? How do you know he/she is a false teacher?
- Can you recall the last time you made a significant commitment to God? How long has that resolve lasted?
CONNECTING WITH THE WAY WE DO CHURCH
- What does Paul’s text in 1 Tim. 1:3-11 tell us as a church we should be doing to prevent people from being so gullible/fickle?
- Do you think your CARE group is more spiritually savvy than you were 8 months ago? What made the difference?
- For more digging into False Teachers & Teachings you might consider these websites:
- SO4J – including John McArthur’s perspective
- Jeff Faul’s perspective
- Jack Cottrell’s perspective
- a typical Doomsday video on 2012
- a Nasa Scientist’s perspective on Dec. 21, 2012
NEXT WEEK “These Last Days” The Mystery of Godliness,1 Tim. 3:16 & 14-15 – Easter Sunday
April Series in a Nutshell- No one has to ask if some of America’s culture in ins conflict with God. But does that mean we are near the end? Did the Mayan’s know something we don’t? The Bible describes “The Last Days!” They are not to be met with fear but with hope, faith and obedience. Victory is assured for the faithful and everything that is to happen will be right on schedule. Nothing will catch God by surprise !
What is “godliness?” How could Paul have called it a mystery?