IN A NUTSHELL – The churches of Galatia had a problem. Many false teachers had been able to sneak in and convince the church of a need for submission to the Law of Moses. Paul provides clear, concise, and convincing arguments for a freedom that comes only through Jesus and a certain condemnation that comes to those who desire to go back under the Law and refuse to live by faith.
ICE-BREAKER – Can you remember a time when you took a leap of faith? In what way, and how long did it take to see God’s faithfulness in His response?
CONNECTING TO THE TEXT –
- What were the results of Abraham’s unwillingness to wait on God? (Genesis 21:8-20)
- What are the chief differences given in the book of Galatians between the Law and the New Covenant? (Galatians 4:1-7)
- To what and to whom does Paul compare those who desire to go back under the Law (Galatians 4:21-31); and what does he wish they would do to themselves (OUCH—- Galatians 5:12)?
- Who are Abraham’s ‘seeds’ & who is Abraham’s ‘seed’ (Galatians 3:16-20; Romans 9:6-9)? Which one of his children is compared to Jesus and why (Hebrews 11:17-19; hint- look at a unique word)?
- We are ______________ by faith (Galatians 2:16; 3:24); We are made _________________ by faith (3:6-9); We are made ____________________ by faith (3:26-29); we receive the _______________ by faith (3:14); We are _____________________ by the Law (3:23); We are not ______________________ by the Law (2:16); ____________________ is not from the Law (2:21); We do not receive the ___________________ by the law (3:2).
REFLECTING UPON OUR LIVES –
- Has there ever been a time when you have become impatient with God and tried to do it on your own? How did that work for you?
- What are some emotions that we struggle with when our faith contradicts the scriptures? How do we deal with those emotions and those contradictions?
- What do you think Paul means when he says, “hearing with faith” (3:2 & 5)? How good are we with hearing in this manner?
CONNECTING WITH THE WAY WE DO CHURCH –
- Why do we baptize people ASAP and what does this have to do with the Spirit of God? (Acts 2:38; Galatians 3:26-27)
- What does it mean to you and to the church as a whole that we are called the Israel of God (Galatians 6:16)
- What are some of the differences and similarities between Christianity and Islam?
NEXT WEEK – Sons? Or Slaves?
- Galatians 4:4-7
- What does “when the fullness of time had come” mean?
- What all results from being adopted as “sons?”